Church of the Covenant - Organist Choir Director Job Description
Church of the Covenant in Arlington Virginia, a small church with a strong music and arts program, is looking for an Organist Choir Director for its Sunday worship service and church music program. A willingness to learn, and the ability to lead youth in music appreciation would be a plus.
In addition, the Organist/Choir Director is expected to display the following qualifications:
- Excellent organ and piano skills for leading worship and accompanying congregation and choir.
- Sound knowledge of a variety of musical styles and a strong and varied choir repertoire.
- Ability to encourage and work with choir members’ differing abilities.
- Good organizational skills and a willingness to use materials, if appropriate, currently held at Covenant.
The candidate will be required to:
- Provide music to enliven Zoom worship services--including hymns, responses and special music--performed live (single source) or pre-recorded with multiple voices.
- Have the facility to record and produce hymns and other music as needed.
- Once the congregation returns to the sanctuary, play at weekly services and special services, including Maundy Thursday and Christmas Eve;
- Lead the congregation in hymns;
- Regularly rehearse with the choir on a schedule agreed to with the Choir Members;
- Meet with the pastor on a regular schedule, collaborate with the pastor to agree on choir participation, and suggest hymns for the Sunday morning worship service;
- Attend some monthly Worship Team meetings; and
- Play at all funerals and weddings as requested.
Hours, Remuneration, Benefits
- 10 hours a week
- The hourly rate for the first year is determined to be $30 per hour, with time and ½ per hour for weddings and funeral services.
- For the first contract year we suggest that a record of the hours actually worked is kept, and if this consistently exceeds 10 hours, then Covenant will review the terms of the contract for the upcoming year.
- Two Sundays of paid leave are included in the agreement.
- If requested Covenant will allow the use of equipment on the premises for private teaching.
- Organ – Winn Pipe Organ
- Pianos – Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall - Baby Grand
Enquiries and Applications: